I'm pretty proud of this. Back here, I said that I was going to make a mosaic of old credit cards in a picture frame.
Well, upon moving in to the new place and finding places for all the old picture frames (non-mosaic, respectively), I realized just how many picture frames already exist here. So I tweaked the idea a bit and it turned into THIS:
A remote control caddy! It's sad, because in my old apartment with Sarah and Marcy, we had three remotes. Here, there are only two. Oh well.
Wanna know how to do it? I remembered to take pictures step by step! Woo hoo!
First, gather lots of old credit cards/AAA cards/gift cards/ID cards.
Then cut them into long strips, about a centimeter and a half thick or so.
Then, cut THOSE strips into smaller bits.
Then, began gluing each small piece onto your desired object. I found this plate at Crate & Barrel five months ago, and never did anything with it. It was cheap. It's melamine. I originally was going to use permanent markers and draw rough-shaped remotes, but I changed my mind.
Anyways, then, you began gluing the pieces into place. Some tips: put pieces next to each other that are NOT the same color (duh). I had a lot of yellow pieces. But the plate as a whole looks good still. Also, the only glue I had handy was rubber cement, which worked fine, but was very messy, made my fingers sticky, and made the job more difficult than necessary. I would suggest getting some type of wood glue, or fabric glue.
This was the tedious part. I watched a lot of The Office when I was doing this.
Wheee! And, as a sneak peek, here's my current project. It has to do with this: