21 October 2007

Franny and Zooey

I'm finally reading this. I'm also pretty excited about it. I recently read Catcher in the Rye for a class (again), and I really did NOT like it this time around. Maybe I've become a little less jilted since then or something...but seriously. All Holden Caulfield said is that everything is phony and dumb and fake. It got bothersome after awhile.

But Franny and Zooey...it's REALLY good. I'm only about 30 pages in so far, but I love it.

I also spent a good amount of time at a local bookstore (Left Bank Books, it's awesome) yesterday and bought used copies of The Time Traveler's Wife and A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius. I'm pretty excited about both of them, but I'm still hyped most for Franny and Zooey.

I love the simplicity of J.D. Salinger's novels.



My favorite quote so far: (and I actually had to go back in the book to find this, and I couldn't highlight it because it's being borrowed from Stevesie)
" 'I know this much, is all,' Franny said. 'If you're a poet, you do something beautiful. I mean you're supposed to leave something beautiful after you get off the page and everything. The ones you're talking about don't leave a single, solitary thing beautiful. All that maybe the slightly better ones do is sort of get inside your head and leave something there, but just because they do, just because they know how to leave something, it doesn't have to be a poem, for heaven's sake. It may just be some kind of terribly fascinating, syntaxy droppings.' "

No comments: