03 June 2008

Abandon

While biking through the downtown streets of Cairo, I stopped to take a ton of pictures. Cairo has intrigued me since Pete and I started dating... it's so weird. Mark Twain (I think) called Cairo the center of activities (okay, he didn't say that, but he enjoyed it at one point and wrote about it and stuff). It makes me sad. There's this old pretty movie theatre that is shut down...well, everything is shut down. Oh well. I love taking pictures of abandoned buildings - and exploring inside of them. The smell of mildew and mold completely overtakes you when you ride down Commercial Avenue and 4th Street here...









2 comments:

Laura said...

oh Cairo...

have you ever seen the Cairo Project?
http://cairo.mcma.siu.edu/
super interesting...
your pictures belong in the book!

Mary Helen said...

I'm glad to see Cairo on your blog. It is sad to see it -- and to remember what it used to be when all those places were open and thriving businesses. Next time you're in town, we'll see what's left of the "good stuff".