05 October 2009

Ira Glass

I imagine that many of the readers of this blog at least have heard of Ira Glass. If not, well, prepare to be enlightened!

Have you heard of This American Life? It's a show on NPR that really just puts me in my place every time I listen to it. From the TAL website: "There's a theme to each episode, and a variety of stories on that theme. It's mostly true stories of everyday people, though not always. There's lots more to the show, but, like we said, it's sort of hard to describe."

I first heard about This American Life when Jordan linked to a episode on her blog that she really, really liked. I listened to it and thought, wow, I should really listen to a lot more of these. And for awhile I did, but then I forgot. I tend to listen to lots of music or watch TV when I'm on my laptop and I just...completely forgot about it.

Until recently. Steve and Mary mentioned it and were telling Pete and I about an episode and I was like, "Oh yeah!" So from then I got the podcast going on my iTunes. When Pete and I went to Chicago this past weekend (more on that later) we burned a couple of the podcasts and listened to them on the way up and down Illinois. It was nice.

Anyways. The reason I decided to write this post was because I saw this video on Freshly Picked. It's a blog that's new to me, but the first three or four posts are just...perfect.

This is a video of Ira Glass talking about the creative process. It was just incredibly inspiring for me, especially today. So I hope that you enjoy it too, and I hope that you're inspired. I feel like his advice applies towards ANY career - whether it's in a creative field, or not.

1 comment:

Bridgett said...

Have you heard the la jolla notebook story? I had to pull off the side of the road I was laughing so hard. I love TAL.