13 April 2009

Some Very Exciting News

Today, I got back from spending Easter with Pete's family in Cairo. It was lovely - we talked, sat around and watched hunting shows (thanks to Pete's dad), and of course, ate a ton of delicious, delightful food.

I came back to St. Louis this afternoon and went by the house - my car and some loads of laundry were there, and I wanted to hang out with my mom for a little bit. I got to the house and she was upstairs, in her room, organizing her earring drawer. We were chitchatting for a bit, about nothing too exciting...and then she said, "I need to tell you something, that Grandma told me when I was about your age..." Um, okay. I was thinking it had something to do with...well, I don't even know.

But she walks over to her vanity/desk thing and pulls out a small blue box. Inside it was a gorgeous platinum setting - my great grandmother's wedding ring! My grandmother had worn it, then gotten a new one - then when my mom got married, she took the diamond off of it, but put it in a gold setting (she prefers gold to silver), and she said, "I know that Grandma would love for you to have this." I had NO CLUE there was a gorgeous ring in the family! I always thought it was so cool to have family heirlooms, but I just figured we had none. And I've been told that Grandma Marie and I are pretty similar, so I'm pretty excited!

So, no big deal. I kind of have part of a wedding ring now...

6 comments:

Laura said...

GOODNESS, i almost just had a heart attack. (the good kind)
the title...that picture.
you are a silly girl.
...but that is exciting news! can't wait to see it : )

Kaylen said...

Yeah...I realized that and just moved the picture around. As I clicked "create post" I thought, "hmmm...I probably could have changed that..."

Sorry about the mix-up!

mh said...

How exciting for you! And I love the picture!

Bridgett said...

How wonderful! My mother isn't letting go of any of that anytime soon, alas (plus it would go to my youngest sister anyway, the way things go...)

Rosemary/sonrie said...

uh oh, you know what that means... something good might be happening for you soon! and I still have to show you my ring. :)

mh said...

In my family, it's the oldest daughter -- the ring I have from Mom who got it from Grandma who got it from her cousin (original owner) and will go to oldest (only)daughter, etc. Of course it doesn't go until the person wearing it has died.