24 March 2010

30 Day Song Challenge - Day 12

Kind of.

day 12 - a song from a band that you hate.

Okay, I first thought that I would have a difficult time thinking of a good tune. But then I remembered - I hate the Pogues.

Coincidentally, The Pogues are one of Pete's favorite bands. Not top 5, and probably not even top 10, but he likes them.

When Pete and I first met, he and Steve were heavily in a Pogues phase - probably a month or so after the initial meeting. I HATED getting in the car with them, because almost inevitably, Rum Sodomy & the Lash would be playing through the CD player.

They're Irish, and they sound Irish. Okay, let me rephrase that - they sound like drunken idiots. And remember, I am 0% Irish. We never celebrated St. Patrick's Day growing up, other than at school. Sometimes my mom made corned beef, if she felt like it. I've never been to Ireland. Prior to this year, I had never been to the St. Patrick's Day parade. No one in my family cared. This is was probably my first big experience with anything Irish, other than popular culture making fun of them for being drunk all the time. [Have you seen the Family Guy episode when Peter goes to Ireland to find his dad? HYSTERICAL.]

Shane McGowan is the lead singer of the band, and from what Pete has told me, he's a complete idiot. I thought he was dead, but apparently he's still alive. I just asked Pete, "Shane McGowan's dead, right?" and he said, "nope! He just got a new set of teeth!"

I rest my case. Pogues, I'm sorry, but I think I can say I hate you. And I'm not even going to pick a single song - I just completely dislike your entire ALBUM.

No comments: