26 March 2009

Meme From Bridgett

Bridgett did this meme awhile back, and I'm finally getting to it. When I saw hers, I knew instantly I wanted to participate but things were so freaking busy that I didn't even have time...so here we go!

RULES:
Think of 25 albums that had such a profound effect on you they changed your life or the way you looked at it. They sucked you in and took you over for days, weeks, months, years. These are the albums that you can use to identify time, places, people, emotions. These are the albums that no matter what they were thought of musically shaped your world. When you finish, tag 25 others (I'm probably not going to do this part)

***No being cool, which albums have you actually listened to hundreds of times? Readers should feel free to guess (or ask) why particular albums are there.

Toad the Wet Sprocket - Fear (We listened to this album every year in the car, on the way to Hilton Head. "Walk on the Ocean" consistently reminds me of the beach)

U2 - The Joshua Tree (The first poster I ever bought, with my own money, was a HUGE U2 Joshua Tree promo poster. It's still hanging in my art studio in our basement at home)

Classic Disney, Volumes 1-3 (I used to dance around the house, singing to Beauty & the Beast, or "Candle on the Water")

Sting - Ten Summoner's Tales (Dad and Mom used to listen to this when they worked in the backyard. Me and Emme would dig in the dirt and that's how I learned all the words...and then I fell in love with it myself)

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Compact Jazz (A very typical Hoffman family soundtrack during dinner)

Luscious Jackson - Fever In, Fever Out (Another yard work CD. Reminds me of planting flowers and playing on our roof)

James - Laid (ditto)

Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (Haha, dad bought this CD for me when I was in 7th grade. Then he realized there were a lot of curse words. I listened to it anyways)

Nobody's Angel - Nobody's Angel (Teenybopper beginning to show through! I listened to this when I was in the shower every day for like, years)

N*Sync - Home for the Holidays (For some reason, this is the N*Sync album I liked the most)

Norah Jones - Come Away With Me (Reminds me of composition camp, from high school)

Rooney - self titled (I heard about them RIGHT before The Princess Diaries came out. Robert, the lead singer, plays Anne Hathaway's flame. Sooooo dreamy. The music was perfect)

The Sounds - Living in America (This was my first "real" concert - I segued from teenybopper into "punk rock" pretty nicely. Also, the lead singer, Maja, is my almighty gal crush)

Ryan Adams - Gold (I heard about Ryan Adams on VH1, when they played a music video for "New York, New York" after 9/11. I cried and then immediately made mom drive me to Borders to get the CD)

Guster - Keep it Together (This is a Kaylen, Katherine, Kevin and Sam CD. Hands down)

The Format - Interventions & Lullabies (This CD also reminds me of high school, but this time it's geared more towards my sister (the first album that BOTH of us liked!) and my friend Mary)

The Velvet Underground - self titled (This one goes out to Rob- the establishment of a friendship with my favorite library buddy. He opened the Velvet Underground world up for me!)

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Fever to Tell (God, Karen O is AMAZING!)

Iron & Wine - Our Endless Numbered Days (Fell in love immediately. Read about it in a magazine. Sometimes magazine reviews are okay)

DJ Zeph - Sunset Scavenger (Definitely inspired by ex-boyfriend Domenic. But I still listen to it all the time. He really did help me to appreciate hip-hop more)

The Go! Team - Thunder, Lightning, Strike! (My first band interview! I believe I've mentioned that The Go! Team will always have a special place in my heart...and their album is just plum amazing)

Love Mix by PRW (about a month into our relationship, Pete and I made love mixes for each other. His is AMAZING. I put it into iTunes and listen to it all the time. It reminds me of the warm, fuzzy beginnings of our luuuuuuv)

Sufjan Stevens - Seven Swans (This album helped me through so many looooong study nights freshmen year. That, and it is the first Sufjan album I ever heard in its entirety)

Decemberists - The Crane Wife (Probably my favorite Decemberists album. It's hard to choose. I also had a very reassuring, happy moment with Pete while listening to "The Crane Wife 1 & 2" in concert)

The Innocence Mission - We Walked in Song (My latest edition. Also read about the Innocence Mission in a magazine (readymade, I believe) and instantly was ga-ga. Perfection!)

Sigh. I love my list. And it's true - I could literally sing the entirety of each album to you. That's how much I've listened to them.

So now do it! And tell me when you do it so I can look at your list, too!

No comments: