21 August 2009

Revelations at Borders



Last night I was at Borders. It had been a long day at work (which I feel bad calling work, because it's just babysitting two kids for 10ish hours a day). I was exhausted after watching them all week, all day long, and staying up late reading since I didn't get out of there until about 6 each night.

Anyways. I stayed extra late last night because of some sort of dentist emergency. After I finally got out of there I decided that I really, really had to go to Borders to use up my 40% off any boxed DVD set. So...I bought a season of Seinfeld and also...the 2nd season of Gossip Girl.

Get over it.

Anyway. The Borders I regularly frequent is on Brentwood Blvd, which is out in the counties of St. Louis. There's a huge mall nearby and a ton of strip malls, complete with a Container Store, Trader Joe's, Target, Whole Foods, etc...it's ridiculous. But I love going out there because everything I would need is there - food, organizational tools, food...everything.

So, I'm at Borders. I got the DVDs I wanted from the DVD section and then I wandered over to the next section, which is crafts. I read all the spines of the books, running my hands over them, looking at all the titles and the pictures of the covers. The next section was home decor, followed by DIY in the house, like woodworking and plumbing. Then there was the art section - ahhhh I love the art section.

I spent a good 45 minutes putting names of books into my phone to add to my amazon wishlist and wandering. I was sitting there thinking about why, why, WHY I didn't go into graphic design. Or interior design. Or...something like that. The closer I get to student teaching, the more I'm rethinking future plans. Teaching is such a respectable profession and sometimes I do look forward to it, but there are other moments where I wonder what I was ever thinking.

I feel like that's how a lot of people are, though - rethinking their decisions.

One thing I've always wanted to do, since high school, was open my own business. I took a great entrepreneurship course my junior year of high school and our big project was to create our own business. It could be anything we want. We had to create a business plan, complete with a list of items we would need to begin the business, promotional ideas, stuff like that. My project? Holly's drive-in. It was an old-fashioned drive-in movie theatre with a restaurant attached. I don't remember a lot of specifics but I had such a blast doing research about what types of machinery I would need for a restuarant, and things like how much start-up cash I would need, and stuff like that.

We had to drive around St. Louis and scout out where we would want our places to be built (it didn't matter whether or not the land was already occupied). I also loved doing that. I decided Holly's would be downtown.

So as I wandered through the bookshelves of all the pretty, colorful books, I was wondering: what should I do. And 16 hours later I still don't know.

Thoughts?


image credits:
1. gorax
2. alison catherine
3. notemily
4. mickey p

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think it would be so fun to start your own business. especially with how creative you are. i love the pics on this blog. very nice. also love borders. fantastic store. personally love it more than b&n.

ps i tagged you :)