25 January 2010

Updates

So. I've had two weeks of school, and here's what I think of my final semester so far.

It's okay.

I'm taking French 210. It's really, really rough - I took French for four years in high school, but with a teacher who was extremely incompetent and spoke in English the whole time. Which was great for me then, but now...well, I wish it had been a bit different. So I took French 110 and French 115 for college credit while in high school, but I had to take a 200-level language course in order to graduate. Which is why I'm here.

I'm also taking two theology classes - Christian Beliefs and Social Justice. Christian Beliefs is entirely another theology class, not unlike any of the other theology classes I've been taking since first grade. So it's boring boring boring.

But social justice is great. It's been a nice, quiet part of my day. We journal and have nice, civil discussions. I like the journaling part. By the end of the semester, we have to have our entire notebooks filled. It's great.

I'm also taking an English class called The Age of Romanticism. It's pretty good. So far we've read two books and I liked one (The Sorrows of Young Werther) over the other (The Confessions of Jean Jacques Rousseau). But the discussions in class are somewhat tedious and can be boring.

The last "in person" class I'm taking is Ethics. I actually really enjoy that class. Right now we're talking about fallacies in news/discussion which is interesting. Obviously I don't believe everything I read, but it's crazy to see the breakdowns of the different types of lies and weird wordings that happen on a daily basis in our world.

And lastly, I'm partaking in a senior capstone course to complete my education degree, since I'm not student teaching (which - okay. Thank GOD. I would be kicking myself if I was). I'm writing a 20 page paper about music in the education systems. I know that's super broad, but I don't quite know how I will narrow it down yet. I'll keep you updated.

So. That's that. As for other things that have been happening in my life - it's been super grey and gross in St. Louis the last two weeks (pretty much). I've been watching The Office when I'm not at school. I've been keeping up to date on my homework (I know we're only two weeks in, but that's still impressive for me). Still working away at Wilson. I really, really miss Shannon. Shannon made Wilson bearable.

And that's about all I have to say, really. I've been pretty boring the last couple of weeks, but I'm looking forward to diving into the blogging world again. I've missed it!

No comments: